Saturday, July 23, 2011

34-35: Theodore Boone and Tough Customer

In what spare time I had at Student Council Summer Leadership Workshop, I snuck in some reading time!

Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer#34:  Theodore Boone:  Kid Lawyer

Author John Grisham has a new young adult series (at least to me...two in this series are now out).  His main character Theodore Boone is a lawyer-want-to-be, who some might view as a nerd, but many view him as their shining knight in law books, as he helps several of them with legal advice.  Until...one such confidante pulls Theo into a current on-going trial with information that could affect the outcome of the trial.

Theo, a thirteen-year-old, will definitely appeal to middle-school aged readers, but I have to admit...I liked this novel, enough so that I plan to introduce Theo to my students this fall.

I also appreciate introducing or reminding my students of authors with connections with our home state, which John Grisham has...remember The Painted House, set not too far from our area of the state.

Now, to read Theodore Boone:  The Abduction...to find out what other adventures Theo will soon be involved.

Tough Customer: A Novel#35:  Tough Customer

I picked this one up on one of my trips to Wal-Mart to begin reading as I sat waiting on medicine to be processed at the pharmacy.  I have enjoyed some of Sandra Brown's action, suspense, will-the killer-be-caught-in-time novels.

This one narrates the tale of  parents who have kept the identity of their daughter's father until her life is threatened and the skill of the father is needed to assist in protecting and assisting in finding the now deranged killer.

For some reason, the flashback chapters bothered me a bit...I supposed I wanted to read faster and wanted the secondary story to move faster.

What "hot" reads have you been reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment