Tuesday, February 17, 2015

6: The Selection



Kiera Cass, author of this series, takes the reader into the world of what it must be like on the The Bachelor (having never watched this show, I am stepping out on a limb a bit here, so, please, correct me if I a wrong). In this future dystopic world of castes, as it begins in The Selection, eligible girls may apply to become the Princess to Prince Maxom.

Main character America has no desire to enter the contest as she is in love with Aspen, who unfortunately is in a caste/class lower than herself, yet through the encouragement of both Aspen and her mother, she soon learns that her application was chosen; she is now one of the 34 girls who will compete for the attention of the Prince....and his attention she does receive.

With weekly televised segments highlighting the girls' week (similar to The Bachelor?),  the story line also highlights the varying states of the social classes as America begins to help enlighten Maxon on the true condition of his country.  Will he listen to her?  Yes. 

The story within the story maybe interests me more...America the country is no more, for once upon a time China demanded a check, and America was bankrupt.  This part of the story made me uncomfortable, for I have asked that question:  What will happen one day when China demands payment?  I do hope that America continues to promote her name in a positive way, that through her redemption and a change occurs, for that is my dream/prayer for our country now.

I read this novel for our student BHS Reads Book Club.  Inspired by Olaf and the bulletin board I created based on his character "So Many Series," I chose this series and two others and offered them as choices.  This one and Legend were chosen.  Another teacher friend wanted to read Legend, so I began The Selection (yes, I do love this cover more!).

Home on a snow day, I really wish I had book two The Elite, for the now America has made it to the Top Six, has become a spy for Maxom, and both have feelings for each other. Oh, my...

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment