Saturday, August 1, 2009

#29: Escape

A true-to-life story. Horrific. Inspiring.

Carolyn Jessop, raised in an "ultra-fundamentalist American religious sect," narrates her life journey through an arranged marriage, her escape from this marriage, and her recovery (still in progress) from this marriage...yes, one arranged by her parents.

This autobiography I purchased as a side-note. If one purchases a book at half.com, then additional books bought from the same seller saves the buyee (me) money on shipping...so as I am perusing the seller of this book's store, I came across Escape. (Might check out this site; have bought several hardback novels here for $.75...yes, cheap!)

The ultimate story of survival, bullying, true-inner spirit, courage, horror, degradation, recovery....this woman endured it all and came out with a healthy mind still in tack...and a message for all females in bondage, whether physical or mental. Cults, sects...whatever name you want to give such groups (I, for one, do not like to associate the term religion with such organized bodies)...are simply bullying units. Yes, I hope you can sense the complete distaste I still feel towards the group discussed within this book!

Storylines, such as this, interest me, for I, who live a very comfortable, secure, middle-class life, literally shudder to think that such life-styles can occur within our good ol' United States of America. They do.

Thus, I salute Carolyn Jessop for telling her story, a story which eventually resulted in some being "freed" and others brought to justice. Way to go, girlfriend!

No comments:

Post a Comment