Sunday, November 1, 2009

#42: Catching Fire

RIP Challenge Novel #4

Suzanne Collins' much-awaited sequel to The Hunger Games...Catching Fire...was a good read.

Katniss and friends must once again participate in the Hunger Games, a cruel and ultimate example of bullying. Throughout this novel, we witness Katniss's growth as a leader and increased compassion for others, while living a facade that both protects her people and increases the rebellion within the districts.

With that said, I do have a problem with all the death, although I know that this is part of Collins' message: that with oppression comes suppression, suppression through death. Or maybe the message is that survival's instinct remains to that very moment of death?

Is this a message that is appropriate for our young adults? While I know they are enamored with Collins' tale, I suppose the optimist in me wants to have to deal with less oppression, suppression, and depression. Maybe?

Let's see what one of these young adults have to say about Catching Fire. Here is Crist's review of this novel that he wrote for a book review for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment