Monday, November 16, 2009

#46: Speak

YOU should read this book...as in, everyone should read Laurie Halse Anderson's novel Speak, written in such a voice that everyone can hear what the main character Melinda is saying, shouting...in such a silent way.

About a young girl raped at a party, this novel pulls at your emotional strings, with relief from not coming until the very last page...just like I like! As much as I like to mentally conclude a novel before the last page, I also appreciate an author who can keep me hooked, especially with unexpected twists.

I assigned this novel to my 11th grade English students while we were studying The Bullying Mentality unit. While this may seem like a novel for girls, the message is strong for any reader...male or female.

This is one of those novels when asked if you liked it...you have to pause before saying, "Yes," for the message between the lines of the story reminds us all to be more conscious of those who need to "speak."

Please read this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment