Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reflecting on 2012's Reading Goals


Last year...as in yesterday, I completed 61 books, two more than in 2011.  I was actually surprised when I compared these numbers, for over the fall, I did not read as much as I had wanted.

Some statistics:
  • Participated in 10 Book Challenges; completed one...and that was a challenge I set for myself.  I committed to read four christian reads, and that goal I met.
  • Classic Double:  read one of three.
  • Harry Potter Re-Read:  read four (am reading book five now)
  • Mount To-Be Read: read 19 of 40
  • Dana Huff's Obscure Book Challenege:  none
  • Outlander Series:  read three of seven
  • What's in a Name:  read three of six
  • Why Buy the Cow:  read six of twelve
  • RIP:  read one...and completed another that I selected in December
  • Professional Development:  read three of ten
I read four of Dan Koontz's books in the spring, after my class read Frankenstein.  That was a very interesting experience, and I had hoped to complete my challenge by reading a parallel novel for Macbeth, and I purchased Juliet to read during the time my daughter was in the school's performance of Romeo and Juliet, but, alas, time and other obligations intervened... These I hope to complete in 2013.

My favorite read before going to see the movie novel was Abraham Lincoln:  Vampire Slayer.  I really enjoyed this book...much, much more than the novel.  For the first time, as I read, I thought if...if...I believed in vampires, this explanation might actually make sense!

Besides J.K. Rowling and Diana Gabaldon by whom I read multiple novels, I also read four books by both James Patterson and Charlaine Harris.  What this says about me is that I do, indeed, enjoy a good series.  Three of the four involve fantasy, which illustrates a change in my genre choice, for I used to rarely read anything but realistic fiction.

My greatest disappointment in my reading choices is my lack of professional reads, for as I discussed in a recent post, I purchased several this year.  I do read them...I just do not complete them; therefore, I did not list them here.  Next year,  another goal:  read and complete PD books.

Another disappointment is my lack of "classic" literature.  I read five; two of those were re-reads.  My concern?  As we continue to implement the Common Core and read more complex texts, I fear that my reading list for 2012 may reflect my students' reading choices also.  Yes, they will read some complex, but for the most part, we read for pleasure.  I digress..yes?!

My greatest reading achievement:  BHS Reads, our high school book club.  This is a book club I created a few years ago that focused on professional development reads.  For about a year, we did not meet; then a teacher asked for me to start a "fun" read club, so I reactivated the book club, resulting in our reading and discussing eight books, six of which I probably would not have read had I not been a part of this group.   Definitely, a good thing!  If you are not a part of such a group at your school, start one! Our group is not always large, we always have more reading than actually meet, so this is a win-win...more teachers reading and modeling great behaviors for their students.

All-in-all, a good year.  A grand reading year.

What was your favorite read or reading experience last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment