Saturday, February 16, 2013

#6: Lockdown: Escape from Furnace



Recommended by a student, this novel definitely created a mood with me...uuuhhhggg. No!  Surely this is not happening anywhere nor foreshadows any world to be, except as the narrator says, "Hell."  Oh, my, what a read!

Alexander Gordon Smith's main character, Alex Sawyer, convicted of a murder he did not commit, is sentenced to Furnace Penitentiary, located a mile below ground, claimed as impossible to escape, built for young offenders, and full of inhumane situations.

Just as a seedling will take root and grow in the most of impossible places, so is the same with hope, for Alex longs to escape and plans for such an occurrence, even though such freedom lies just as small as that seedling of hope.  Along with a few friends, Alex clings to that small root of hope and plots and plans.

This novel, the first in a series of five books, is one that I would probably have never read without the encouragement of the above student, who loves the series.  Maybe it's the mom in me, the teacher in me...or maybe because this novel is just too realistic, I am not sure that I can finish the series.  While I realize evil exists in our world just for the sake of evil, I suppose I just prefer denial...?!

Well-written, fast-paced, definitely a topic of interest (for young adults know other young adults who are either offenders or have been accused)...but will I continue reading the series?  Maybe?  I have a hard time saying, "No" when a student, an avid reader continues to recommend a series.  So...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment