Saturday, February 2, 2013

#3: The Time Keeper


Reading this novel will give you a new perspective of time, possibly even putting time in its place. Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie and Five People You Meet in Heaven and others, instantly captured my time, as I quickly became captivated with the tale of the man who created time, then was punished for the creating something that people worship more than for what time consists, who redeemed himself, only after learning the true value of time and the appreciation of those who fill all those hours, minutes, and seconds.

A gift to myself, this book I purchased upon winning a $25 gift card to Wal-Mart during my recent attendance to the state-level National Board Certified Teachers Conference. As I began reading, I quickly became immersed in the book, pulled into the setting, the plot, the characters by the author's writing style.  Simple. To the point.  Yes, had time allowed, I could have sat and read this book in one setting.

Albom's character choices were quite intriguing.  Father Time himself.  Interesting.  I have never read a book about this character nor one that put the value of time into its place.  Dor...aka Father Time...the creator of time does so at the expense of his family.  Then, via his punishment, the reader meets two characters:  one who does not have enough time; the other who wants to shorten time.  An avid reader, I pride myself on determining the plot, but this one kept me hooked.  Right down to the last page, the last second.  And, yes, those fantastical elements Albom included?  Yes, I liked those, also.

This read fell timely within my life as I attempt to become more "fit" (MyOneWord choice for 2013) and have been focusing on the Psalms 90:12:  So teach me to number my days that I might present to you a heart of wisdom. Yes, there's that focus on time.  One of revealed themes of this novel is stated by Dor as he comments about why God limits our days....so that we will make each one precious.  When I read this line, I literally stopped.  These words so clearly parallel the scripture above.  Such a powerful moment for me.

Just so you know, mixed reviews exist for this novel. I, though, give the book five stars...just for its timeliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment