Thursday, January 9, 2014

#3: The Lost Symbol



Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol mesmerized me from the first chapter...and good luck, for I did not see that ending...at all!

Main character Robert Langdon's knowledge continues to be sought in this novel, as it was in the two previous ones, including The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.  Known for his knowledge of symbols and languages, Langdon educates the readers on interesting topics, in this case Masons and their historical involvement in our nation's capital.  Very interesting.  I learned a lot...since I knew so little, I might need to research some as I am not sure where Brown mixed fiction with nonfiction.

A fast moving plot, the novel moves along quickly, with short chapters and much dialogue.  As a matter of fact this 700+ page novel, takes place in less than one day.

I have not read the previous two novels, but I plan to now since I am interested in learning more about the intense focus that Brown has on a subject matter.  I actually did pull The Da Vinci Code off the shelf, but as I have so many reading commitments this month, I decided that would just have to wait until later in the year.

His writing style reminds me somewhat of James Patterson's:  short chapters, quick-moving plots, much dialogue.  This, I like.  This style is also good to recommend to non-readers, for they can accomplish much in little time.

This novel, our first read for our high school faculty book club,  was chosen at the recommendation of our one male English teacher...good choice!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment