Saturday, February 15, 2014

#10: The House of Scorpion



This book I read for our high school's Media Center's Blind Date with a Book for Valentine's.  On the table, several books were wrapped with a big red heart on each with a short blurb about the novel.  Tempted though I was (for I have committed to read several other books) to pick the shortest, I chose the one that sounded the most intriguing.   Glad I did.

Nancy Farmer's The House of Scorpion, winner of numerous awards, takes us to Opium, located between the United States and Aztlan (once known as Mexico), where Matt lives.  Matt is a clone.  A clone of the richest and most powerful man of  the time.

Conceived in a petri dish, Matt grew to birth in a cow's stomach.  Yes, a cow.

Nancy Farmer's voice on cloning, drugs, immigration all came through and would make for great discussion starters as the reader remains engrossed in the maturation of Matt. This book, I would love to teach.  Better yet, this novel would be a great selection for a history/social studies class.

Full of action, dialogue, plot changes, conflict, the story line moves quickly, where we are introduced to mama Celia, bodyguard Tam Lin, girlfriend Maria.  Upon checking out the novel, the librarian told me she had read the book in one night.  Now, I know why.

Good news!  Farmer has written a sequel entitled The Lord of Opium, which continues Matt's story.

Next week, I will book talk this one in class, foreseeing its quickly being checked out again. Yes!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment