Saturday, February 1, 2014

#5: Fifteen Minutes


Fifteen Minutes

Karen Kingsbury's Fifteen Minutes takes the reader into the world of reality television...and, as a result, I appreciate my world even more!

Main character and powerful singer Zach Dylan uses his voice to climb through the rounds of competition, only to find that this climb is costing him his commitment to family, girlfriend, and, most importantly, God.  This book is good reminder to all...anything can become a god, but I should let nothing replace my God.

This was my first read about reality TV shows that focus on talent, and I was not impressed with the Hollywood-like sets and situations that occur.  Too, I was surprised by the hours and the busyness of their schedules that forces the participants to have to little time for themselves and family.  Never is this a good thing.

Now, in Zach's defense his intent was pure...make some money to save his family's failing Kentucky horse farm.  Yes, you may guess...once Zach returns that farm...and his family still await him.  Yes, our prized positions often are right where we left them.

With all that said...some of this sounds so negative, doesn't it?...I do recommend this novel.  As a matter of fact, I have already shared it with one student and will share with others.  The message is there:  remain committed to what matters, for what truly matters can so easily become distant when our priorities take on the glow of success and fame.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment