Saturday, February 27, 2016

11-13: Three more reads...

Again, time is a factor; therefore, below are condensed book reviews of my last three reads...

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

This one, I read for my senior English class, as mandated by our district.  This would not be my choice for a whole-class read.  About a boy who does not like his name, this novel journeys back and forth between Calcutta and New York, between acceptance and denial.  Maybe it ends on a note of acceptance...maybe.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rawling 

When I mentioned to some of my students that another teacher and I were going to read this series in 2016 (because he had never read Harry Potter...gasp!), their response was immediately, "I want to join."

From there, I shared the idea with friends on Facebook, and after some interest, created a group page here.

I would adopt Harry and often call him my fictional son.  :)  He just needed a mom.

On Monday, we meet to discuss this first book.  To say, I am excited would be an understatement.  First thing on the agenda, borrow the Sorting Hat from our own Coach Rowe and let the sorting begin!

Winter's Bones by Daniel Woodrell 

Our local book store's book club is supporting one of our member's family bringing this author as Lyon College's Heasley Prize Reading.  To prepare for this reading, I purchased the book...and began to read.  Not sure what I expected, but it was not what I began to dive into.

Set in the Ozarks, the story tells of a girl, who is solely responsible for two younger brothers and a mother who will never be quite right, who is about to lose the family farm if she cannot find her now-missing dad.  I realize that culture is so important to this novel...to the point of practically being a character.  The culture of close families...as in inbred, of the making of illegal substances and the selling of those substances.  Until she put earphones on, I would have thought the novel was set decades before.

As I reflect, I appreciate more and more main character Ree, who overcomes in the end.  Or does she?

Only one of these am I able to say..."Happy Reading."  Yes, time for some more Harry Potter!


No comments:

Post a Comment