Monday, May 14, 2018

My Spring Reads...so far...

Check out this eclectic array of books.  Fun!
  1. In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar
    • Love this author.  I am so looking forward to diving into Afshar's advanced reader's copy of Thief of Corinth that I received!  Happy dance!   In the meantime, I have been sharing this one with friends...and encouraging them to read others by this author.  She takes you right there...and we live and breathe with these characters from the Bible.
  2. On Calvary's Hill by Max Lucado - March 31
    • This and the next one I read as part of 40 days of Lent.  I simply devoted more Quiet Time in the mornings.  I enjoyed it!  These were very short reads but offered different insights that I had not considered.  
  3. 40 Days of Decrease by Alicia Britt Chole - March 31
    • This one I would re-read next year; just soooo much within these pages, including much history about Lent.  I enjoyed it...highly recommend this one.
  4. The Secret of the Scarab Beetle by William Meyer - April 15
    • This one I read for Arkansas Reading Association's April Book Club where we met online in a closed Facebook Group Page live with the author William Meyer who is a wealth of information.   This type of meeting I also highly recommend!  Written for young readers and the first in a series of two, Meyer creates interesting characters and takes them on even more fascinating adventures.
  5. Solo by Krame Alexander - May 1
    • For our BHS Faculty Book Club, we read this one for the month of April as its genre is poetry...and kids LOVE this author's books as read alouds.  I place the texts under the document camera, and the kiddos read along.  Fun!  Love the rhythms and the various genres the author used throughout this one as we are introduced to main character Blade whose father is a famous rock star.
  6. Awaken by Priscilla Shirer - May 8
    • This devotional book consists of 90 reads...took me just a bit longer than that as I picked up the two reads for Lent.  This one also includes pages for journaling, which I attempted, giving myself the time to reflect, which is powerful (just as blogging is, also!).
  7. - 8.  Fear Nothing (May 12) and Seize the Night (May 14) both by Dean Koontz 
    • I discovered this trilogy (Koontz still has yet to write book three) recently while I was in a peer's classroom and looking over her collection of fiction in her science classroom (yes, very excited to see books in the teacher of another curriculum's classroom!).  I ended up leaving without borrowing, so I decided to just purchase and read, which I did...rather quickly...and enjoyed.  This series encourages one to think about what the government does in those secret hideaway places...seriously!  Also...I enjoyed underling some powerful references to God...was very please about that!  Yes.   
What's up next?  Local author Sandy Barnett's Dead in the Shadow of Doubt (for next Monday's BHS Faculty Book Club meeting!) and Tessa Afshar's Thief in Corinth...two of my next in quiet the pile to be read.  Summer is off to a grand start!  Yes!

Please share!  Which title are you most excited to read this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment