Monday, May 14, 2018

How Challenging Should a Good Challenge Be?

This year, I have challenged myself to average reading one book a week.

As of now, I have read 18 books; therefore, I am one book short of my goal thus far.

But...my goal, too, was to read an average of one book EACH week.  That I have not been able to accomplish for a couple of reasons:  busy schedule and too much time spent on my phone(!)...I actually do read much on my phone, but this is just not the same as picking up one of my books!

Back to my question:  how challenging should a good challenge be?

The answer:  any challenge that encourages us/anyone/me to read is a good challenge.  Right?  Absolutely!

I take this same approach with my students:  better to read a little than to read not at all, for, hopefully, a little will become more which adds up to completing a book!  Success!

BUT...challenges do encourage me, motivate me to read more that I would have.  Just as creating my reading lists here encourages me to read more. 

May I encourage YOU to keep a list of what you read, week by week, month by month?  Amazingly, this time passes and quickly adds up to  year!  Then, the years roll by, and you have all kinds of data about your own...probably changing...reading habits.  Pick up a notebook, create a blog, add the titles to a calendar.  For you, as this has been for me, will become a challenge that is just right for you!

Start now, today, this week.  Just start!  Challenge yourself!   Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment