Sunday, January 5, 2020

2: All the Light We Cannot See - 2020



I just finished Pulitzer Prize winner Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See...one I began in 2019 for the Paper Chase Book Club...and had read about 100 pages of the novel last year.

While I am glad I finished this one...yes, here comes the but...the author's use of timing frustrated me.  Antony Doerr has mastered the use of flashing...forward and backwards...continually...sometimes days, months, and years.  I finally sticky-noted the time changes to assist in my knowing where I was!

Also...almost another but!...each chapter was told from the perspective of a different character via third person point of view.  This style, while not new, did add to overall effect of the novel.

With this said, I am very glad I journeyed through this plot line, one set during WWII, a time period that is not my favorite but one about which I most definitely need to learn.  Some might argue this is a young adult novel (and one I would much rather teach than some of the more traditional texts) because of the protagonists:  blind Marie-Laure and orphan Werner.  Much to overcome for these two in circumstances that did not always allow for success.

This time period, these particular settings are ones that young people need to know; we need not forget.  Such harsh times, such spirits of patriotism and loyalty.

I would give this one 4.5 stars...only because of the above two critiques.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment