Sunday, August 28, 2011

00: The Book Whisperer

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every ChildI am not counting this book as one of my 2011 reads...I sat down with it and quickly realized it is not one that "fits" who I am right now, so I skim/scanned the book in one evening.

Author Donalyn Miller is a sixth grade language arts teacher in Texas who succeeds in kids reading 40+ books per year...yes, amazing...and she discusses how she achieves this goal.

My goal is to have kids reading...right now, all my students have checked out a book that they are reading for "pleasure."  With the advent of the Common Core, though, my focus has changed (thankfully!); therefore, we may read less, but read them more in depth.

Need tips and encouragement, though, to send kids further down the literary path...especially younger readers...then this professional development book is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment