Sunday, August 28, 2011

44: A Midsummer Night's Dream

My motivation for reading this particular play:  Our drama department will perform A Midsummer Night's Dream later this fall, and I am reading Iron King because I heard it referenced this play.  Thus, my thoughts are that I might create some mini-lessons for our English department to use by connecting this two genres in hopes of promoting the drama departments production.  Sneaky?  :)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (Dover Thrift Editions)
Admission of Guilt:  I went online and read an overview of the play (had never read this one!  How did that happen?)...(in a very quiet voice)...this did help much in my quicker reading of the play!

Our drama teacher has modernized the storyline, and I can now further understand her enthusiasm, for this plot line will definitely appeal to this age group and especially to those who have enjoyed the fantasy literary revival of late.  Her production will be set in a modern high school setting.

Shakespeare has everyone falling in love...with the help of a little magical concoctions...and then falling out of love...and even includes a Romeo and Juliet extreme love scene.  Oh, and one cannot help but laugh as several make donkeys of themselves.

Yes, the drama department and the audience should appreciate this one!

Now, to finish reading Iron King and to begin making text-to-text connections between the two genres...

Read A Midsummer Night's Dream online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment