Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008: The spark re-ignites

Today I felt that spark for the first time since before school ever let out. I was so burned out that I just wasn’t sure when I would feel even the hint of any academic warmth again…but it’s back!

First, I took what I am referring to as a “fiction vacation” with James Patterson’s character Alex Cross…read five of his books in a week! Need to let Mr. Cross work alone for a while! I can only take so many serial killers in one week! Good read, though, if you enjoy suspense…and I do!
My students also enjoy Patterson’s teen read featuring his part-bird character Maximum Ride…guess, I have a little kid in me…I have completed books one thru three and have book four sitting beside me now!

Now, I’m “reading for work,” as described by my husband. Penny Kittle’s book Write Beside Them is an intellectually stimulating way to begin my personal professional development for this summer with a group of teachers from all across the United States. Check out the wiki for this project at Learners4Life.

The above book seems to hit on the writing aspect of my job, so for the other areas of teaching English, I am also reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor and Understanding by Design.

Why all these professional books? I need a change. Professionally, last year was a “slump year” for me…mainly because I was on survival to just to keep myself just a half-step ahead of my next deadline!

Okay, it was not a total slump or I would not be writing in this very format right now!

Just purchased another summer read recommended by a friend and peer Ms. Margo who encountered a book review of this book while at cheer camp this week. If you are Harry Potter fan, sounds like this is a new series for we fantasy supporters! Trenton Lee Stewart…is he the next J.K. Rowling? He’s from my native state…Arkansas! Stewart’s new fantasy world in The Benedict Society does sound interesting! He’s published two and is writing his third in this series.

What are you reading?

Posted originally on my personal blog Treasure Chest of Thoughts on June 8, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment