Sunday, January 18, 2009

#4 ~ The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

My first novel, delivered daily in eleven installments, from DailyLit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was a surprising read by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

While I saw echoes of the 1920's lifestyle portrayed in The Great Gatsby, I realize that this novel's theme goes in another direction (no pun intended in regards to reversal of Button's age: he was born old and then proceeds to daily grow younger). Maybe Fitzgerald's message is that one should appreciate the cycle of life, that one should not take the "normalcy" of life for granted.

Fitzgerald also makes a statement to those who have "special" people in their lives. All of Benjamin Button's family, at one age or another, treats Button (because of his unique quality) with much disdain; thus, Button becomes the hero, overcoming a challenge life dealt him and succumbing peacefully to this cycle that we call life.

Good news! I can now go and see the movie! My students, though, have not given it the best of reviews. I'll let you now what I think.

I have now subscribed to Persuasion by Jane Austen...95 installments from now, I will let you know what I think of my next great read!

1 comment:

  1. I also subscribed to this book on DailyLit and found it a fun read.

    ReplyDelete