Saturday, January 3, 2009

#2 ~ New Moon

Call me different...but I liked this novel in the Twilight Saga better than the first one. As in, I could not put the book down! Read until 1:00 AM...then finished it this morning. Now I am finally addicted! (Remember...I was the one that started Twilight three times and took nearly a semester to complete because I kept putting it down!)

Meyers has been critiqued by some as not being the best of writers. Not sure I agree with them, for their very actions belittle their accusations as these Meyer fans all quickly add that they, too, had to keep reading...all the way to the end. We also have to keep in mind the audience for which these novels were/are intended...young adults.

I also appreciate Meyer's references to the classics...this time to Romeo and Juliet and, in particular, the character Paris. Very interesting! I shall never read that play again in quite the same manner.

Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I like Jacob better than Edward! Meyers just makes him more "real" to me than she does Edward. For one, he is warm! I just do not like being cold!

Two comments about these novels so far:
  1. Religion: I will be interested to see where Meyers takes her discussion of souls and Bella's lack of "church" background. I personally think that young adulthood is an extremely important time to learn and develop this part of a person's identity. I hope she continues this line of reasoning.
  2. Relationships: Meyers appreciates and respects the boundaries, the limits, the infiniteness of the ties that bind us to others. For example, Bella stands up to...or against...the love of her life to protect the friendship that she has with Jacob. That is a good thing, a mature issue that many of us cannot abide by even into adulthood.

Have you started this series? Please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment