Monday, June 29, 2009

#27: The Good Earth

My first read by author Pearl S. Buck, The Good Earth proved to be an interesting and eager-page-turning novel. To be honest, I selected this one as one of my summer reads because it's just one of those novels I felt I needed to add to my "read" list.

I learned so much about the Chinese culture...for all social classes. It was an interesting journey that spanned the life of main character Wang: a journey that supports the theme "Life is a cycle, a circle." Buck mastered her characters, as she developed them, as we watched the grow, both in age and through the battles of life.

Buck portrayed the country in which she lived for forty years quite realistically. Thus, I cannot say that I enjoyed all that I, as the reader, experienced as I met these characters, but I did get to know them. For instance, Wang's wife Olan is a character that I liked, even more importantly, one I respected. I just wish she had talked more, for when she did she proved her leadership skills. Another reason for my respect? She birthed her babies (by herself!) and immediately went back to work plowing fields. Oh, my! What woman would not respect such a one?!

If you have not read this contemporary classic, please consider reading The Good Earth and be reminded of the reasons we should appreciate the planet upon which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment