Monday, June 1, 2009

#18: Of Mice and Men

Question...how is it that in my eighteenth year of teaching that I had never read this novel?

Then when I sat down to read it, I quit after the first few pages...very offensive, I thought. No way would I ever teach this, require my students to read such language. Since my English department "expected" all English 10 students to read this novel, I finally sat down, with two weeks left of the year, and read the novel...in one setting. Could not stop.

Author John Steinbeck created a masterpiece that speaks to all readers, despite the distance in years, despite any difference anyone might mention....the novel speaks, and soon the reader realizes the offensive language is not meant to offend but to truly relate the life experiences of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment