Friday, March 23, 2012

#14: The Red Tent

The Red Tent 

By Anita Diamant, The Red Tent relates the embellished story of the Biblical Dinah, the daughter of Jacob and Leah.

First, I enjoyed the story and all the research that went into the narrative that became Dinah's life.  Told in first-person, this novel gave the unique perspective of the only female daughter born into a family of twelve sons and four  wives.  Interesting, indeed!

Second, I cannot say that I appreciated all the characteristics awarded Jacob and his wives, as these details are not supported by the Bible.  I had to remind myself from time to time that this is a work of historical fiction. But again...this is historical fiction.

From both the Bible and this novel, I appreciate several lessons of which I was reminded...

  • That Dinah was loved much by Shechem, despite a very distressing situation...isn't that when we need love the most?
  • Her brothers did pay for what their part in deceiving Shechem's family...yes, we do reap what we sow.
  • The bond between women is strong...only to the point of when one's true love is deceived, destroyed.  Loyalty to one's soul mate runs the deepest...I am thankful to have that with my husband.  Blessed, I am.

I purchased this novel recently after perusing the comments in top book list I came across on Facebook that was posted by my friend Dawn (such a lovely lady that I am enjoying getting to know better from my church):  Ten Books Every Girl Should Read.  I noticed this title repeated so often in the comments (the novel did not make the creator's top ten) that I decided that this girl should read The Red Tent...also purchased The Postmistress from this list...it waits patiently on me!

Yes, read this book!  Just read knowing that it is a work of fiction, for this novel stays with you, encouraging reflection, which is so healthy for any girl.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment