Friday, March 9, 2012

#7-8: Frankenstein X 2

Frankenstein
For the Classic Double Book Challenge...and because my students were reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I also read Dean Koontz's first book in his Frankenstein series The Prodigal Son.

I read Frankenstein several years ago and enjoyed it very much.  Thus, last year, when I wrote and received a grant to purchase each of my students four novels throughout the year, I choose Frankenstein as one of the literary selections. 

Shelley's writing style appealed to me:  much plot in a relatively short span of pages.  As one of my male students told me a few days ago, "I really like how she used words."  Wow!  I compliment indeed!

Frankenstein Book 1: Prodigal Son
As in the Twilight series and other such novels, I found myself liking one character more than the other.  That's right...I became a monster sort-of fan, as Frankenstein's motives, while as selfish as the monster, were just not as justified.  As I discussed the novel, I found myself singing Toby Keith's song, "I want to talk about me and me and me and me and me...!"

Then, I read The Prodigal Son.  Interesting, the connections to Shelley's Frankenstein.  Very.  Frankenstein and the monster are both characters within this series, as well. Yes, the monster, now  named Deucalion (after Prometheus' son) is still my favorite!  No spoilers here...please read this series if you enjoyed Frankenstein, though! (Excerpt here.)

I look forward to reading more of the doubles, as I enjoy making the connections to the classic and further understanding the original characters through the modern-day author's perspective.  Thanks, One Librarian's Book Reviews, for hosting this book challenge!

Now, to read book two in the above Frankenstein series City of Night...have to learn what happens to Frankenstein and the monster  and Detective Carson O'Connor and her partner Michael Maddison (yes, a bit of romance is sparking between these two!).

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! Thanks for joining the challenge - and giving me a heads up on another Frankenstein tie-in series!

    ReplyDelete