Thursday, January 1, 2015

2104...In Review

This has just been a different year in our household...all contributing to my only having read 33 books.  Wait...stop...to my having read 33 books:  need to take out that only.

With the passing of my father-in-law came some changes in our lifestyle and in my reading habits.  Our goal became to assist in helping pass the time with my mother-in-law, helping fill those long, lonely evening hours.  Out of that time time came a love of quilting and many hours shared with that lovely lady.  With her help, I made ten quilts this past year!  :)

As I began this post, I felt a bit guilty admitting to my low number of completed books (my lowest number since I began this blog), for I did not come close to meeting any of my reading goals.  Then, as I reassessed, reading what I did was enough of an accomplishment for me, for sometimes, our worlds just shift, don't they?  My love of reading remains in full-force; I just love other hobbies, as well.

In reflection, I have selected a few books to note: My Favorites (yes, like choosing your favorite child!)...

  1. Series:  The Passage - Apocalyptic, full of vampires, slow to start (had to set up a whole new world).  Looking forward to the next in the series The Twelve, found it one day in a bargain box at Wal-Mart.  :)
  2. New Release:  The Goldfinch - long, richly written, just one of those books that stay with you.
  3. Young Adult:  The Fifth Wave and The Impossible Knife of Memory - both good, both I would recommend to any adult.  The first one begins another series; the second a  realistic fiction.
  4. Christian:  Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World - yes, I a  Mary-wanna-be; just too much like Martha, though!  I am learning!  This is such a good read for females.
In reflection, I noted so many of my reads were for book club selections; the beauty, of which, remains that many of these I would never have selected.  While being in too many book clubs can be overwhelming (often several books going at a time that I would not have chosen for myself, resulting in my not reading them as quickly as I might have), the conversations that come of these reads AND the growth in my reading diversity contributes much to my satisfaction in what I did accomplish this past year.
  • Women's Bible Study:  we are on our second Beth Moore study; love, just as much, the fellowship with these ladies.
  • PaperChase Bookstore:  again, have enjoyed getting to know this group of, mostly, elderly ladies.  While some of their selections I would expect, I am always surprised at some that make the list.
In reflection, I just have to note that my 2014 Book Reads do not reflect nearly what I did read...read much for school, for church (teach two class weekly there), and then all my online blog reading (love Feedly!).

While a time of adjustment, in reflection, I am okay with my accomplishments.  Now, to project about 2015 (to be posted later today).

Happy New Year!  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment