Monday, January 19, 2015

3: The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp


cropp-adv

Alfred Kropp is a character my students will love, especially boys, especially those somewhat reluctant readers, especially an English teacher who love finding a series to recommend to her students.

I chose to read this book because I currently do have a group of very reluctant readers starting this very novel. Just wanting to inspire and encourage them, I began reading, hoping to have just enough read that I could engage them in a conversation revolving around characters.  Then, in less than a day, I read until I had completed the novel!  So good!

Only after I had finished did I make the connection...author Rick Yancy also wrote The Fifth Wave, a book we read for a book club last year, one we all enjoyed very much, wrote this series several years ago.  My regret?  That I didn't read this one years ago, so I could have been recommending this one to interested readers.

As I read, I just kept thinking...boys will this this action-filled, kick-booty, can't-keep-Alfred-down young adult read, for Alfred goes from a orphaned, ill-at-ease teenager to a pursuer of Excalibur, fighting alongside and against knights of the Round Table.  So many allusions, so many teachable moments.

Then, when I checked out the author's page, I learned there are three books in this series.  This excites me, for I just found a recommendation (or three) for some male, avid readers.  That is just very cool!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment