Saturday, January 10, 2015

A 2014 Completer...

I began Fannie Flagg's The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion last year for a book club read, got behind, did not complete...until today.  Therefore, I will not be counting it towards my 2015 goal, as it was listed in the 2014 list.

With a dual setting in Alabama and Wisconsin, this novel also spanned several decades as main character Sookie's ancestry is revealed through two stories told that merge at the end.

I learned much about the WASPs, the lady pilots during WWII, who receive some of the recognition they deserve through the words of Fannie Flagg.  What an impact they had...as did the fictional characters portrayed here within these pages.

Love Flagg's writing style and tone...just a touch of sarcasm adds much to the humor contained within the plotlines as the reader views Sookie's mother (or is she?) through the dialogue and narratives Sookie shares.

I agree with Sookie's psychiatrist...one does develop a "crush" on this character, for watching a character grow is a powerful turn.  I appreciate your comment about watching one's children grow...until they become your friends...  Yes.  Powerful.

As always, why to I put off such good reads?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment