Sunday, June 3, 2012

#27: Serena


Serena

In his novel Serena, author Ron Rash takes the reader to the logging woods of North Carolina in 1929 with newlyweds George and Serena Pemberton.  Cold, callous, and calculating...just to name a few c words, this couple will do anything to guarantee their own financial success.

The novel could easily have been named George and Serena or George, Serena, and Others, for the novel closely follows several characters.  Seldom do I read a book, though, where I do not like the main character, but Serena exhibits few morals or ethics, while murder and mayhem abound.

I purchased this book some time ago because of a teacher-recommendation. Then I let it set...until she posted on Facebook that this novel is being made into a movie.  Have to read the book before I can even think about watching the movie!  Right?  Therefore, as I read, I found myself mentally picturing how I would portray scenes on the big screen.  Many will want to watch this movie because of the historical context, and some will watch because of the logging angle.  Many will watch, though, to see Serena...and her horse and her trained eagle that rides on her arm.  Did I mention that this eagle is trained to kill snakes?

As I read the book, I commented to my husband that he should read the book.  He's a former logger and appreciates history....and this novel just seems to be more of a "guy" book, well, if you remove some of what my female friends refer to as "fluff."  Or maybe I am just attempting to stereotype the novel since it was just not my favorite read.

Maybe I just read to too soon after school was out and on a holiday weekend as I was sitting by the pool when I was really wanting to read one of those "fluffy" books mentioned above?  Maybe?

Would I want to watch the movie?  Yes.  Just to see if it follows the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment