Thursday, June 7, 2012

#34: Write Like This

Kelly Gallagher's Write Like This should be a must-read for all English teachers.  Full of ideas, activities, and samples, one quickly becomes overwhelmed with the avalanche of tips.  Having read his book Deeper Reading, I prepared a foldable to garner the suggestions that I thought I might later include in my thematic units that I will be teaching this fall.

Gallagher organizes this book into six real-world writing purposes:

Write Like This
  • Express and Reflect
  • Inform and Explain
  • Evaluate and Explain
  • Inquire and Explore
  • Analyze and Interpret
  • Take a Stand/Propose a Solution
For each of these chapters, he then provides so many ideas.  In every chapter, I noted several that I hope to include within my classes...soon!

I especially enjoyed his last chapter entitled "The Wizard of Oz Would Have Been a Lousy Writing Teacher."  I am hosting a brunch in August for my department, and this is the chapter, Gallagher's list of core beliefs, I hope we discuss.  Very interesting.  A list I support.  A list that I may consider emulating this summer.


If you are an English teacher, I would encourage your department choosing any of Gallagher's works as a close read.  You will so enriched by his many years of experience he so willing shares with his readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment