Sunday, June 3, 2012

#26: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland


Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Earlier in the school year, a student asked, "Mrs. Gillmore, have you ever read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?"

"No."

"You should.  It's not what you think it will be. It's really not a kid's book."

"For you, Nathan, I will read that book."

I did, and I agree:  this book is much more than a "kid's book."  An allegory?  A political response to the times?  I am sure support exists for both of these interpretations.

Lewis Carroll's story relates the journey that Alice takes upon falling down a rabbit hole, the characters she meets, and the changes...literally...that she must make.

This is also my first e-read on our Kindle.  I am attempting to read a few online this year...to save money and also to determine if I can overcome my addiction to the real thing:  books!  The verdict is still out on this decision!

Upon finishing this read, I related to Nathan that I had completed this fantasy, and we discussed how it can be read on a more sophisticated level.  Then, I commented that I could now watch the movie since I had read the book.  No, he was quick to inform me.  The new Johnny Depp movie is of Alice Through the Looking Glass.  Okay.  I now have it on the Kindle!

No comments:

Post a Comment