Tuesday, June 26, 2012

40: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter


Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln hunted vampires?  According to the first-hand writing of Seth Grahame-Smith,  Lincoln not only  hunted, but he also killed many vampires.  Very interesting.

The movie came out over the weekend, and the hubby wanted to go and see it, so I suggested he read the novel before going to see it on the big screen.  He did.  He really enjoyed it.  Interesting.  So, yes, I had to read the novel, also.  I really, really (yes, to be redundant!) enjoyed the hunt...ooopppsss,the book.

First, I appreciated the historical accuracy of this novel, as I took a journey back and actually learned many of the narrative details of Lincoln's life.  Now, I would truly enjoy reading a "real" biography of this President of the United States.

Quickly, Grahame-Smith introduces the reader to other main character...vampires  (yes, the group as a whole acts as a main character).  We learn how and why vampires directly impacted Lincoln and the life-changing decisions that result, how and why vampires came to America, and why they so desperately wanted to remain in America.

As I told my students today (I am teaching in a summer high school program...Upward Bound Math and Science), if I were not convinced that vampires are pure fantasy, I just might be convinced that I have been wrong all this time, for this rationale for their existence really, just almost, makes sense!

I have heard from two sources that the movie is not that good.  Then, the movie must not follow the novel.  The hubby and I have a date to see the movie in a couple of days...I will be back to update this post then!

I have read several novels in which vampires played a prevalent part, including the Twilight series, the Sookie Stackhouse series, and the House of Glass series, and... drum-roll please...I really like this one.  Would be safe to say this is my favorite vampire book.  Yes, it is that good!

By the way, Grahame-Smith also wrote the best-seller Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and the just-released Unholy Night (his story of the three wise men in the Bible).

Please read...enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment