Saturday, January 7, 2017

2. Rebecca

Yesterday, we had a Snow Day...the first this year...and this school year.  What better way to spend it than by reading a book.  As I stood gazing at my stacks to be read, I pulled Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier from the shelf, one I purchased some time ago after hearing a colleague go on about what a favorite it was of hers.

I made myself read the first 50 pages, then 75; after that, I decided I should finish because I had already committed that much time.  Then about page 150ish, I was hooked, then reading the full 391 pages to completion.

Now...I need to gather some co-readers of this novel so we may chat about how this one ends!

The cover says this:  "The Unsurpassed Modern Masterpiece of Romantic Suspense."

  • Unsurpassed - this word I would argue, although I did enjoy this one quite much.
  • Modern - Written in 1938 would classify this as modern.  The writing style might not.  Much detail.  Vivid detail  Detailed details.
  • Masterpiece - Yes, I would agree.  Now, that I have read it...and glad I did...again, I would love to gather some who have also read and discuss character development (Rebecca is NOT the main character...or is she?!), plot development, writing style...
  • Romantic - Yes, girl meets man (yes, a young girl (whose given name we never learn) falls for older man and soon becomes Mrs. Maxim de Winters.  A former Mrs. de Winters lived...but no longer; she, the reader soon meets...and meets...and meets.
  • Suspense - this one will surprise you right to the very last page.  Do NOT read the end first!  Please!
I would give the first 150 pages - 2 stars.

The remaining pages - 4.5 stars.

Upon completion and now considering the novel as a whole, I would give the first 150 pages - 4 stars.

Please read and let me know if you agree! 

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment