Tuesday, January 17, 2017

3: A Man Called Ove by Fredik Backman

I know Ove.  I have met him.  I have watched him on TV.  This was the first time that I read about him, though.

What a cantankerous man he is! A grump.  Or is he? Ove is the 59-year-old main character of A Man Called Ove, one who sees life as he sees it and has no intention of changing...until the neighbors move in...and become the family he does not know he needs.  Then, he's still ill-tempered, negative, and slowly falling in love with all who begin to invade his home, resulting in complications to fulfil his desire to leave it to be with Sonja.

A book choice for one of my book clubs, this one I was not too sure that I really wanted to read, wishing it would end, wishing it were not so long, wishing, after the first 150 pages, that I had read it some time ago, for I did enjoy getting to know Ove...through reading about him.

The author allows glimpses into Ove's live, flashing back...and then forward, revealing sneak peaks into his life, until the canvas begins to fill and the picture of his life is revealed.  Not always a fan of this method, I would avidly claim that this author has mastered this technique.  Very well written.  Very.

Upon researching the author, I note this novel will be coming to the big screen.  As I was reading, I kept picturing Clint Eastwood as Ove...the Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino.  Yes, that Clint is Ove.

When I mentioned this novel to a sister-in-law, she gushed, "I loved it so much that I bought more of his books."  That is high praise...from any reader.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment